For the first time since March 2020, we will be regathering as a community at our new location, in the heart of Downtown St. Catharines at Silver Spire.
The pandemic has shown many what we already know to be true: mental health is vital, social connection is vital, and access to the arts is vital. Belonging to cultural spaces and engaging in the arts has the power to deeply transform our understanding in our own value and abilities. We have managed to keep people connected to each other and arts programming during the pandemic, and we look forward to regathering in person again to create our own culture of acceptance, artistic and creative identity, and healing.
Here is a quick overview of what we are offering and working on this season.
To our current membership:
- 105 hours of Open Studio
- Launching a Welcome In Outdoor Community Mural project
- 5 multi-week courses in literary, visual, and performing arts
- Launching our Member Advisory Committee
To the public:
- Dropping an album of original music from Songs from the Willow and hosting an Open House for our new Willow Arts Creative Studios as part of Culture Days October 24 (more details to follow!)
What we are working on as an organization:
- Updating our Membership Application process and revisiting our Code of Conduct, Room Agreement, and Conflict Resolution policies.
- Begin developing a Member Manual and Instructor Manual
- Continue to build our relationships with community partners and with Silver Spire
- Improving communications and growing capacity for volunteers
- Identifying new sponsors and donors to continue to support artists and creatives with lived experience of mental illness/substance use disorder in Niagara.
I continue to appreciate your ongoing patience, good humour, and understanding as we navigate the new season in our new location together. I sincerely look forward to sharing space and making art with this incredible community again.
With love and creativity,
Director of Willow Arts Community